Skip to main content

HELOC question and which chapter?

Submitted by on Sat, 08/16/2008 - 17:24
Credits:
[Donate]

I am reading here and getting so much good advice! I am thinking in my situation, BK is the only way for me. I am in a state where DS is not allowed and CC wouldn't lower my payments at all, they would be higher. BUT my question is in regards to our HELOC, my name is on it but also my husbands as is our mortgage. Would I have to list that in the BK? I am wanting to file individually and get rid of my unsecured debt. Bad business choices and slowing economy have me stuck. My husband is not at fault at all. And also which chapter would I need to look at? It is confusing.
Thanks

My husband and I both filed together, so I'm not sure about your situation. I think though that since your name is on the mortgages, you would have to list them in your BK. Then you would probably need to reaffirm them.

As far as which chapter, it would depend on your income. If you don't meet the means test for Chapter 7, then you would have to file Chapter 13. In Chapter 13, you would be put on a payment plan to pay back part of your debts over the next five years. However, if you try to file Chapter 7, I think that you might have to include your husband's income if he contributes to the household expenses.

It seems like your best option would be to consult an attorney. Most BK attorneys will give a free initial consultation.

Submitted by alias1958 on Sat, 08/16/2008 - 17:35

alias1958

( Posts: 1230 | Credits: )

last year I had 2 homes (rentals) go to forcloser, and completed my primary modification. Now I still have allthe other debt to deal with. B of A $35k HELOC, and credit card debt that mounted to approx another $65k or so. 1st. Should I have tried to include my HELOC in along with the Mod? If not what is the chance of making a deal with B of A, being that my income barely pays my normal bills. My home is in Az. and I had a Letter on my door today from B of A stating that a field rep from NCCI was here tody to assist them ( B of A) in communicating with me. And if I wasn't home to please call them immediatly. Last, Is my only option chapter #13??

Submitted by on Sun, 05/02/2010 - 22:26

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )